Friday, October 10, 2008

Its times like this that make me want to pack up and go back to Utah, but then...















Madisyn in front of her family tree.












Maddy had Grandparents Day at school and since all of her grandparents are in Utah I asked her if it were O.K. if I were her grandparent for the day. So I showed up at her school at lunch time and she was waiting at the front door for me just like all the other kids waiting for their grandparents too. Then we headed into the lunch room and after looking all around at all the other kids with their grandparents I started to get teary eyed ( which isn't hard for me!) and couldn't help but feel so guilty for taking these experiences away from my children. It took me back to my childhood memory when my grandparents came for grandparents day and what a special day it was for me, and felt guilty that she wouldn't have the same memory. So I then asked her "Well me being her is almost as good as a grandparent right?" She then, just kindly smiled. After lunch we then moved into the classroom where all the children took part in a play. They then all got up and each read letters about the grandparents it was such a sweet thing to watch, I again got teary eyed at watching all the grandparents faces as each of there grandchildren proudly got up and read about how amazing their grandparent was. It was just so cool to see so much love in a room. Of course Maddy wrote a amazing letter about her grandparents as well. As sad as I was for Maddy, I couldn't help but feel so blessed to have been able to share this experience with her. It was a wonderful day and hopefully it will be a great memory for her.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

I know what you mean about not living around family during times like that, or holidays, or just everyday. I think it helps us grow stronger as individual families though. Down the road I bet Maddy will look back and think it was cool that you could share the day with her since her granparents couldn't.

Teresa said...

What a weird day? How many kids no longer have surviving grandparents and I would assume many are in the same situation as you. Our kids have Daddy Dounut Day at their school and I hate the idea. Every year Justin ends up fostering some poor kid who's dad isn't around. I think it is mean to have such specific family celebrations. Why couldn't it be a "respected elder day" where they could bring any inspirational senior instead of grandparents day or "family hero" day instead of Daddy Day. It just isn't fair to exclude some children for things that are out of their control. Sorry for the rant but this subject has always raised my mothering hairs a bit.

Kristen said...

When we lived in Colorado we didn't have family around and I brought our neighbors as grandparents. In fact I remember carving pumpkins with them. I am glad you saw the blessings during tough times. I am a lot older than you, I could be her Grandparent for a day..;-) It will be a memory for her that you were able to be there and someday you will be the Grandparent hopefully able to share these moments with your grandchildren. Here comes a cyber hug...

Andie said...

Maddy is lucky to have you for her mom!

memories by Jan said...

My Grandma heart is breaking. But you are right, sometimes it's the blessings we don't have that make us most grateful for those we do have.

Serena said...

I can totally understand how you feel. Sometimes I wish my kids had the same relationship with their grandparents that I had with mine. You are an awesome Mom and Maddy is very lucky to have you for a mother. I am even older than Kristen, I could have been her grandmother for a day...

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

I know exactly where you are coming from. Being away from family isn't easy, but it's especially hard on holidays and special occasions. Aren't we blessed to have phones and the internet. I can't imagine life without them. I'm glad you could share the day with your daughter. That's also a memory she will treasure.