Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dinner Time Blues?

I have the Dinner Time Blues! Everyday I'm struggling to come up with something to make for dinner that's going to please all six of us, I don't necessarily mind cooking, its just coming up with something to make. So lately I've been on the lookout for some new recipes or ideas, and I've come up with a few that I would like to share just in case anyone else is stuck with the Dinner Time Blues like me!


My family loves Lo Mien, but all the recipes I've come across take a lot of ingredients and time so I don't make it very often, but the other day I was shopping for ingredients for egg rolls and came across this package of Yakisoba Stir Fry Noodles teriyaki, I then just added a 1/2 bag of frozen sugar snap stir fry vegetables and 15 min later.... we had Lo Mien it was really easy and really good! I found the noodles in the produce section right next to the egg roll wrappers, they are fresh noodles that are already cooked.


My next recipe came from Serena its Mexican Lasagna it was really good and all my kids loved it. I haven't prepared it myself yet, but when Serena made it it was awesome.The recipe is:

1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cups of cubed cooked chicken
3 cans(10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
2 eggs
1 carton(15 ounces)ricotta cheese(i think she used cottage cheese)
12 no-cook lasagna noodles
4 cups(16 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend

In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in chicken and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta cheese and cilantro. Spread 3/4 cup chicken mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, 2/3 cup ricotta mixture, 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and shredded cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Thanks Serena I needed a good recipe!

My last is an idea that as work for me in the last week. Each member takes a turn planning a meal, and the idea is that they also help prepare it... so far we have just done the planning part, but I know the fun part is being able to help cook it, I'll work on that part! The kids love this idea and are really excited for their day.

If anyone has a favorite recipe I would love it if you would share it with me! Thanks.

4 comments:

Andie said...

I love the idea of letting the kids plan the menu, but I'm with you, the OCD in me has a hard time letting the kids take over the kitchen. But when I do give in and let them cook, the are so proud of themselves that it is (almost) worth it.

I don't know what you're talking about, not knowing what the make for dinner. You are an excellent cook! Thanks for posting the recipes.

The Seaman Family said...

Those recipes look great!! I will have to try them out. I love the idea of having them help. They are always so proud of themselves and love the time with mom!! I need to do that more often!

Kristen said...

How did your chicken turn out?

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

I know where you're coming from with the dinner time blues. I have extremely selective eaters so dinner is sometimes a chore. I'll have to try the new recipies. Our family loves the pork enchillada recipe we got from you a couple of years ago. Thanks for sharing