Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Seminary


I must say I'm impressed with the youth out here. In Utah we were able to take seminary as an elective, out here and I'm sure as well as all the other states besides Utah their option is early morning seminary an hour before school starts,that makes for quite the long day. It has been very tiring for me, and I'm able to crawl back into bed for a little while, I can't say the same for the youth or there seminary teachers who start their day at 4:30 or 5:00. I am thankful for a teenager that is willing to go to seminary and not complain about it ( most days!) with all of the bad influences out there I'm glad that every morning she is able to go to seminary and to feel the spirit and hopefully remind her of what she stands for before she heads off to school. I must say I'm a little jealous of Ashley and all that she gets to learn about this year in seminary,I asked Mike if he thinks Sister Oelkers would mind if I went with Ashley to seminary and he said, " I don't think that's a good idea " I said why? He then said,"you would just try to hold her hand and talk to her." I of course said WHAT? He then said ,"well that's what you did to me!" he is right I did do that and maybe if I would have listened then I wouldn't be so envious of Ashley now. Well in close I am thankful for seminary it really is so important for the youth, for seminary in St.Francis so that I don't have to drive to Anoka which is about 20-25 minutes away, Jan Oelkers for teaching Ashley seminary oooh sooo early in the morning and for a child I didn't have to force to go to seminary!

7 comments:

Andie said...

Shantel, your blog is looking awesome! Who helped you put on that cute background anyway? ;-)

Seriously, though, I love the post. Sometimes I wish I could go to seminary too for the spiritual boost. Bless those teachers for sacrificing so much of their time and those youth who get up and go when it can be so hard to crawl out a warm bed at 5am.

Also, totally excited that I am doing Mia Maids now and Ashley will be one of my girls!

Kristen said...

I can't even tell you how much of a spiritual boost teaching Seminary gives you. It is an amazing and sacred experience, really. You never know when it will be your turn to teach!;-) It could be around the corner. You are helping Ashley put on the Armor of God before she heads out everyday. That is a sacrifice for you to be running her!
I agree with Andrea, your background is very cute!

Nicole said...

I am proud of Ashley. Sometimes we take things for granite when we are young. I know I did. I totally agree with you about wanting to go to semimary now. I remember how fun and interesting it was (when I did go). I don't know if I would sacrifice my sleep to go when I was a teenager- Kudos to Ashley!!!!

Nicole said...

P.S. Your blog looks awesome!!!

Angie said...

Early morning seminary is such a great way to start a high school day. I think back at the experiences my kids had with 6 a.m. seminary... it is so much more meaningful than a 10 a.m. released-time class! Ashley (and you) won't regret the effort to takes to get to that early class.

Serena said...

I remember those days of Jackie, Briana and Mitch taking a nap after school trying to catch up on the sleep lost going to seminary. I Love early morning serminary, there isn't anything to match it!! Thanks for your example Ashley. Shantel, your blog looks awesome!! Super cute!!

memories by Jan said...

Your blog looks great. I had a great time reading this entry and the comments. I didn't get to take seminary as a youth since I was 21 before I was baptized. You know I love teaching Seminary. The "spiritual boost" of studying the scriptures every morning and sharing testimonies with the kind of youth who are willing to show up at 6 AM makes it an amazing experience, but the BEST part is the kids. I have the perspective of having the same students for 4 years in a row and the amazing blessing of watching these precious and children of God figure out who they are and where their place is in His kingdom!! I hope I can continue to do that forever. I pray regularly, both privately and with the students, for blessings for the stalwart families who encourage, prod, bribe, and insist that their kids show up for Seminary. Been there, done that. God bless you.